Importance of Consistent Branding
Businesses that are successful are able to stand out in a marketplace swarming with competition. With multiple choices for consumers, it is critical for a business to be able to differentiate itself. Businesses with a well-defined identity are able to get above the noise. A well-defined identity is also known as corporate branding.
It’s important to maintain brand consistency in your design, message, and values. This helps to keep your brand concrete and genuine, and not “open to a variety of interpretations.” Brand consistency is important because:
- Consistency helps consumers identify you. With consistent branding, customers can easily recognize and identify a company by its logo, color, and slogan.
Take Shell gas stations, for example. The Shell emblem is easily recognizable by its red and yellow logo, even after having modified itself over the years. Today, it’s one of the world’s most recognized symbols.
- Consistency eliminates confusion. Customers and employees alike will always understand what your business does and what it values. There will be no guessing or misunderstanding.
“We decided to switch to CITY because they were genuine…there are no surprises,” said Chad Witte of Des Moines Cold Storage.
- Consistency builds trust and loyalty. Customers expect to receive a certain experience based on your brand promise. With a consistent appearance and impression, it helps consumers know that this is the same company that they have come to know and trust, “and trust is the foundation for loyalty and promotion.”
“Anyone can be great for the ‘honeymoon phase’ but to maintain the same level of service for all these years is impressive,” said Michael Bauer, vice president of Midway Outdoor Equipment, of his CITY service.
- Consistency promotes employee professionalism and pride. When employees understand your brand expectations, they feel empowered to do and be at their best when representing your company.
“[CITY’s] services are a benefit for our employees because they are dirty from head to toe at the end of the day and that way it saves on their washing machines so it is a huge benefit for our employees,” said Gina Roys of Clayton County Recycling.
- Consistency inspires team unity among employees. One of the easiest ways to encourage employees to work as a team is to provide brand consistent uniforms. Uniforms help create a sense of unity and team spirit, fostering higher morale among employees.
Your brand represents your business, so you want to make sure you’re building brand recognition. Having consistent design, messaging, and values is key to standing out in the crowd, building trust with customers, and motivating employees.